Monday, September 1, 2008

Back to School

Last Tuesday finally ended the anxiety and apprehension we felt as we worked to get to know all of the local English teachers day by day over the course of two weeks. The first day both the local English teachers (LETs) and English teaching assistants (ETAs) introduced themselves through simple Powerpoints. For the rest of the first week, we spent time with the LETs discussing models for co-teaching in the classroom, and brainstormed lesson plans and activities. Together we talked about our roles in the local elementary schools and the issues that teachers face on a daily basis.

The Taiwan school system is much different from the system that we're all familiar with in the U.S. First off, classes tend to be much bigger here. It is not uncommon for an elementary school to have over 2,000 students, averaging about 30 or so students in each class. Children begin elementary school at the age of six, completing grades first through sixth before they move on to junior high school. The subjects taught here are basically the same, but the education method is incredibly different. Rote memorization and testing play integral roles in the life of school children. Upon completion of junior high school, each student must take a standardized test that determines his or her options for high school; after completing high school, students must test again for university entry. Because of the importance of tests in determing students' educational opportunity, and therefore futures, parents place a great deal of pressure on their children to test well. What does this mean for me as a new teacher?

I am a subject teacher; I teach English only. English class is not part of the standard school curriculum, so there is less pressure on me to ensure that my students perform well in testing. English teachers, however, face a specific set of obstacles. Many students do not see the applicability of English because they have never traveled abroad and may not see leaving Taiwan in their future. Some students are simply not interested in learning English or have given up long ago because it's difficult to practice. Moreover, even as early as elementary school, students become swamped with homework and have to rush to cram school after their regular school day. The LETs know how hard the students must work, and have emphasized the need to make English class fun so that students are excited to learn. A lot of games and physical activities are often used in the classroom. Parents sometimes question whether the students learn anything through games, and want a tangible way of measuring their children's progress. English teachers must then plan school-wide events that in which the administration and parents are invited to watch the students demonstrate their learned knowledge.

I am incredibly lucky to be working with Sophia and Julianna, both very sweet and dedicated teachers. They teach fifth and sixth grades at Wen Fu Elementary School, a fairly new school established just seven years ago with a young staff. They are both very practical and realisitic about teaching goals, although it is very obvious that they both have a great passion for teaching. I will be helping them teach three different levels, since the sixth graders are separated into regular and bilingual English classes. In the bilingual classes, textbooks include less diaolgues and more formally written English. Directions and context for stories and activities are also written in English. I will also be helping in the English Village, the goal of which is to simulate everyday life situations to encourage students to use practical English. At English Village students might encounter buying something from a store, ordering at a restuarant, going to the movie theater and watching clips of film about American life, etc. I might also be teaching English to other staff members or helping out with a project like English club.

Classes started this past Friday at Wen Fu, but I do not begin teaching until next Monday. Julianna met me at my apartment yesterday afternoon to practice my route to school. I am still considering getting a scooter, but for now I need to learn the most basic method of transportation. From my apartment I can walk a few blocks to the bus stop and take the bus to the train station. From the train station I can take the MRT (think Metro) to a stop about three blocks away from Wen Fu. The school sits at the base of beautiful Ban4Ping2 Shan1 (Half Mountain), so it's a very scenic walk to the school. Tomorrow I will go to meet the entire staff. Classes start at 8:30, so I must be there around 8 am. I should probably start my commute around 6:30 to make sure I get there on time.

Today I went to a school supply store with a lot of imported materials from the States to buy some things for my classroom. I got one of the big calendars with the numbered squares and the days of the week that says "today is _____, yesterday was _____, tomorrow is _____." It also has the weather and those cool little pictures for special days like birthdays and holidays. I also got a poster that has the standard classroom rules that we use in the States, one that has cute cartoons doing basic verb actions, and a special one for the sixth graders on advanced phonics and word families (it's a big part of their curriculum). I can't wait to go back for the winter decorations!

I'm really excited to meet all the kids and get settled into class. It's a big help to know that my co-teachers are excited to work with me and the school is incredibly happy to have a native English speaker. I even have my own little desk in the English teachers' office. I have to start thinking how to decorate it!

No comments: